Monday, March 24, 2008

Sarah W.'s Questions

1.) What kind of education did you yourself have to get to be able to teach blind students? Did you have to take other classes than a regular education teacher would have to take to get your degree? What is your degree?

2.) What originally inspired you to become a teacher for the blind instead of any other kind of teacher?

3.) What is it that you would like to accomplish or get through to the students while you are teaching them, other then the actual school material?

4.) When something isn’t getting through to a student and they are getting frustrated, how do you plan to help them understand without getting frustrated yourself?

1 comment:

Lea Weaver said...

1. Previous to receiving my certification as Teacher of the Visually Impaired, I had a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood and Elementary Education. The vision certification was an additional 15 courses on top of that. I did not have to take the introductory courses for the vision certification because I already held a teaching certificate.

2. The Infant Program and the young children I worked with over the past 8 years inspired me to return to college to receive my vision certification. Some of the children I worked with had a visual impairment and needed vision services. There were no services available to them because of the rural area in which we all live. There is a shortage of teachers with vision certification all over the state, especially in the rural areas such as Venango and Clarion counties. Sometimes it is frustrating to see the lack of services a child can get because of the area they live in.

3. I think that a primary goal I carry with every student is to get them to a higher level of independence. People with visual impairments can succeed just as any other person. They just need to be taught the adaptations.

4. I would do with a visually impaired student as I would do with any other typical student. I would back up and find where they may have been confused and plan another activity or lesson that would present the same material just in a different way. It is difficult at times to plan lessons/activities when I am such a visual learner. A lot of times I find myself closing my eyes while going over a lesson I planned or an activity that I made. I look for anything that may be confusing for the student or that could be presented in a more tactual way that they could comprehend.